Sunday, April 19, 2009

Freshmen Orientation 2009!

First time waking up early to go to school after rotting at home for 5 months.

And I don’t need to wear uniform too. Actually it’s pretty shiok. Lols. XD


So on the 1st day of school, I dragged Li Yi along with me early in the morning because I said that we should go to school together on the 1st day. But the whole journey there was rather tense. I think she’s not happy with me at that time.

Then I met Jason at Dover MRT station. We planned beforehand to meet. After that we waited for gillx to arrive and a senior who was with Jason brought us to the Sports Hall. Actually, it was good to have someone to lead the way; otherwise there will be a tendency for me to get lost if I were to go alone.

We were supposed to gather at the Sports Hall at 8am but that Jason bluffed me and said we need to gather at 7.45am. So by the time we reached there, there were only a few people there. He said that we met early so that there would be time for us to chat and know each other.

When it was around 8am, we went to check our groups list to see we were in which group. Unfortunately, Jason, gillx & I were all in different groups. And later on I realised that some people I knew were also in School of Design but I was not in the same group as them. Actually, that might be a good thing too otherwise I wouldn’t make new friends. Haha! XD

Maybe because I already knew someone in the same course as me so I didn’t feel lonely or miserable. Lols.

We slowly gathered in our groups and the Orientation only started at around 9am. At that time I was already feeling hungry. Lols. Each group was asked to gather in one straight line. I saw other people chatting with each other so I was tempted to chat with this girl in front of me but I didn’t dare to. And she didn’t turn around to look at the back either.

When the Orientation finally officially started, we were told to sit in a circle. I didn’t know anybody in my group at that time, so I sat beside the girl who was sitting in front of me. And the guy who was sitting behind me sat beside me too. Lols.

Anyway, we started with playing some icebreaker games. It did help a little, and we were even sort of forced to memorise each other names through a game. But after a while, after we get to know each other more, 2 hours plus of icebreaker games seemed to overdo it.

At that time I already knew one friend, she’s called Yong Chen (or Perlin), she’s also the person who was sitting in front of me too. Lols. During lunch time, we talked and laughed so much, others thought we were Secondary school friends but we barely knew each other for one day! Haha! XD

During lunch time, I also knew another guy called Zi He who is currently my good friend in my class too. At first, he was sitting at another table, isolating himself from our group. Then Perlin & I told him to come over to sit with us.

After lunch, we were brought to tour around the school for a while and after that we were brought to the Main Lecture Theatre 1. And because they were not ready yet, so we sat at Food Court 1 and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, we were told to go inside and we had to listen to some talks. It was okay, I can still take it because I hadn’t heard someone giving a speech for a long period of time. But Perlin was already falling asleep! Lols!

I remembered there was a part when they showed the Library video. The Principal said that he saw the video 3 times. The 1st time with the Chemical & Life Sciences students, everyone was listening attentively, obediently & quietly. The 2nd time with the Engineering students, everyone was also listening attentively, obediently & quietly. Then when he saw the Design students watching the videos, everyone was commenting about it, including me! Lols! XD

Anyway, by day one of the orientation, I think we already formed our own small groups of friends.

After the talks, we could go home but I wanted to wait for Li Yi to end because she accompanied me to SP early in the morning. And I wanted to go home together with her on the 1st day of school.

We were finally in the same school after 4 years. *Sobs*

And I saw Ding Xiong & Liyana at School of Design.
When I saw Ding Xiong, I was thinking, “Is it really him?” because I thought he was smart and wouldn’t come to poly.
When I saw Liyana, I was overjoyed because my friend actually came to Singapore Poly and she’s in School of Design too, but we’re not in the same course… =.='''

Not only that, I also saw someone that gave me a shock of my life.
(Shock not surprised because surprise has still some elements of happiness in it.)

I saw Shu Li.
I knew she is in SP cause Li Yi told me.
But I didn’t thought that she would be in School of Design…


Anyway, Day Two of the Orientation we were supposed to “Leave a Mark” in SP. And so turned out we were supposed to paint wall.

We waited for a really long time before we could start painting. I think because they had to get the paint and paint brushes.

So basically I shall simplify Day Two.


  • Put Newspaper on the Floor.
  • Go inside the room to wait.
  • A Lecturer came to brief us.
  • Went outside to rearrange the Newspaper plus pasting Tape on it so that it wouldn’t fly away. (Even if it flew away, it would fly away as one piece! Lols!)
  • Started Painting but I only painted one small part.
  • Went to have lunch.
  • After lunch, Perlin, Zi He & I sat in the room because Zi He said when he wanted to help to paint, someone told him to go inside the room to rest. So if Zi He had nothing to do that means we would have nothing to do too.
  • And after that we talked and laughed (mostly only I laughed). And I kept calling Zi He’s name wrongly… =.='''
  • After that we waited till it’s time to left and went home.


Oh and I saw Joey Ow & Jia Zhi from Kranji as well as one primary school schoolmate on that day too.


On Day Three of the Orientation, we started complaining why we had to come for the orientation while other schools didn’t need to come.

School of Design is really “special”.

  • One, we had to come for the Orientation for 5 days while other schools only needed to come for 3 days.
  • Second, we haven’t got our tin cans for Flag Day yet but other schools already got it.
  • Third, we don’t even have our timetable and other schools already got it! (So I told Li Yi since we are school of design so we were supposed to design our own timetables and she really believed it! Haha! XD)


We started playing some games in the morning again.

After that, somehow we had one game called the “Amazing Race”. And practically we were running all around SP! o.O One of the most funny part was that the 2nd half of the group got separated from the rest of the group twice! And the funniest part was that we thought we were really slow, especially after being separated twice, but somehow, we were the 1st group to arrive! Lols! XD

We got no prize though; the only prize we got was a longer lunch break. Lols.

After lunch, we were off to the briefing for the Flag Day the next day.

There were some talks about the things we would be learning for the different design courses. As well as the modules we would learn. And also on that day I found out that the groups we were in were already our classes for one semester! That’s good! That means Perlin & I wouldn’t get separated till Semester 2 because she’s studying Interior Design.

Anyway, Zi He & I would still be in the same class even after Semester 1! Lols! XD

And most importantly of all, we know what Design is.

Design is Shiong.
No.
Design is Super Shiong. :X

And after that we had our briefing for Flag Day and we got our shirts and tin cans.
Guess what?
My group got the super jackpot.
Our location for Flag Day: Tanah Merah! (It’s practically the other end of Singapore!!! >E:@)


On Day Four of the Orientation, I woke up very early in the morning at around 6.10am and because it was so early, my mind was so blurred, somehow I forgot to bring my handphone out on such a day where handphone was one of the most important thing to bring!

And so when I reached Jurong East MRT station at 6.50am (we arranged to meet at 6.45am), I didn’t see anyone in the middle of the platform so I rushed to board the train when the train arrived. Ended up, I was the earliest one in my group to arrive. =.='''

Before that when I just arrived at Tanah Merah, I thought they might have already started collecting donations, so I went to search for them but I couldn’t find them. When I went back to the MRT station again, I saw Celina waiting for the others at one corner. So I went to the toilet first and waited for them with Celina & Christopher (the 3 of us were the earliest to arrive).

After a while they arrived and it seemed Yong Chen & Zi He hadn’t arrived yet. Charmaine told me that Yong Chen seemed to be waiting for someone and I told her that someone was me but I didn’t bring my handphone so I couldn’t contact her.

And before that on my journey to Tanah Merah from Yew Tee, I almost went ki siao crazy because I was alone, and I had no form of entertainment (no handphone so I couldn’t listen to music) and the journey was super long!!! ARGH!!!

After that, I went off with Yong Chen & Zi He to collect donations.

And somehow I was enthu because it was my 1st time doing Flag Day.

I changed my sentence a few times. I think I started with something but Zi He said something so I modified it to, “Can I have some donations please?” And I practically asked everyone I saw once. By morning, I probably said that sentence more than 50 times and I completed almost one page of stickers (50 stickers) too! XD

I was standing at one good spot. I was standing beside the zebra crossing and opposite me was a condo. XD Yong Chen saw that somehow I managed to get more donations than her so she was not happy and tried to snatch the people from me. Lols. But people still donated to me so I told her because I was “cuter”.

We saw a senior from SP too and she said, “I understand how you feel.” Lols. And she helped to donate some money to us. Haha!

I also saw one lady who asked me what was “Flag Day” and I told her “Raising Donations for Charity Organisations” although I didn’t had much idea what I was saying. Somehow she was satisfied with my answer and put $5 in my tin can.

After that Yong Chen got a call from Lester and he said something about going to Pasir Ris. So we went back to the MRT station. Then Charmaine (our group leader) said that they headed to Raffles Place and we could go anywhere we wanted.

And before even deciding where we wanted to go, we sat on the MRT and at first, we alighted at Bugis but once we saw SP people outside the MRT station (before scanning our cards), we went back to board the train again. Then we alighted at City Hall and scanned our cards out. I told them I wanted to see Merlion. Lols!

And we really walked to the Merlion! Lols! There were lots of tourists there but we didn’t dare to ask them for donations because they came here for vacation and we didn’t want to spoil their mood and image of Singapore. Then after that we walked, and walked, and walked.

We also saw a China man whom we thought was a teacher (because there were Primary School students gathered there) but we were wrong. Then he started asking what we were doing and Zi He actually managed to explain it in Chinese! o.O And so the China man gave him $10 Ren Ming Bi.

After that we walked, and walked, and walked again and ended up at Raffles Place! It was full of SP people, just like City Hall and we didn’t got much donations because practically almost everyone who wanted to donated had donated.

So we sat on the MRT again and I suggested going to Lot 1.

My tin can was the heaviest among the 3 of us at that time. Actually back then when we were at Tanah Merah, my tin can was already the heaviest among the 3 of us.

Zi He met his friend, Jun Yi, at Jurong East and the 4 of us went to Choa Chu Kang. When we were still inside the MRT station, we saw that Lot 1 was full of SP people too so I said we shall go to Bukit Panjang Plaza instead!

And my guess was right; there weren’t much SP people at Bukit Panjang Plaza! XD

And so at there, I had quite lot donations again.

At first, I was standing in the middle of the road near the carpark because I didn’t want to stand too near the entrance and Yong Chen was standing at the other side so I didn’t want to stand near her too just in case I wouldn’t get much donations from people.

After that, one woman came over and told me to stand near the entrance because I couldn’t get much donations this way. And she donated some money to me and said that she supports me! Lols!

And I really shifted over to just outside the entrance. But after a while, other SP people came along and they were from School of Business. Their senior told me to let them stand there because they didn’t get much donations, and as compared to me, their tin cans were rather light.
Anyway, I managed to get quite a lot of donations and just before I left for lunch, I managed to complete 2 pages of stickers!!!

We had lunch at a Food Court and after that; Jun Yi said he wanted to complete at least half a page of stickers. I was still enthu and I wanted to try completing all the stickers but I didn’t succeed. Anyway, I collected a lot of donations compared to Yong Chen, Zi He & Jun Yi. And Jun Yi kept saying I would be the top in School of Design. Lols!

I also changed my sentence to, “Would you like to donate some?” because I heard someone from School of Business saying it.

Before I could finish giving away all the stickers, we had to leave Bukit Panjang Plaza because we were going to be late and so I was left with 19 stickers. =.=''' Yong Chen asked me whether we would be late and I told her that we would step inside SP exactly at 3pm (we were supposed to return our tin cans at 3pm).

And after walking a lot for the whole day, we still had to walk a long distance to the place where we were supposed to gather. And once we reached, they opened our tin cans and we were supposed to count each other tin cans. Yong Chen didn’t want to count the money in my tin can so Zi He took it and I counted Yong Chen’s tin can.

Although Yong Chen gave away more stickers but Zi He managed to collect more money than her. And it took quite long to count finished the money in my tin can. It took like about 3 people to count lols.

When the person asked us to reconfirm the amount again, I was too lazy to count.

Anyway, I collected a total of $98.70! Few more dollars to $100… =.='''

And I got a New Zealand coin, Yong Chen got an Australia coin & Zi He got a $10 China note! Lols! XD

After that, I used both Yong Chen’s & Zi He’s handphone to try to contact Li Yi because both of them did not want to go the party later in the evening. And so I met Li Yi at FC5 (and both Yong Chen & Zi He went home), and waited for her to finish her food because she didn’t ate lunch.

After that, we went to the location where I was supposed to gather after Flag Day because I wanted to find out if I was the top in my class but ended up no one was there. And after that we did a “Find the Boys” game because Li Yi was trying to find her classmates. And we really searched high and low till I was breathless…

After that, it seemed that they were queuing to enter the party so we didn’t want to go. Then I quickly grabbed something to eat at the concourse, and we left SP to go to IMM. Before that Li Yi said she wouldn’t be hungry but I knew her too well lols! We did a little shopping at IMM and both Li Yi & I bought something. I bought a shirt and she bought a tank top.

And then, we headed for Ajisen to have our dinner.

Before that she was saying what she wanted to eat and she practically listed out all the restaurants that she saw… =.=’’’

And then we walked for a while more to search for the handphone that Li Yi wanted to buy and asked the price, and we went home after that. Both of us were exhausted. X_x


Day Five of the Orientation, the last day of the Orientation.

I went quite early again and I was one of the first few to arrive at the Sports Hall.

We were supposed to gather there to buy our materials for Semester 1 & 2.

And I spent a grand total of *Drum Roll* $280 for the materials! *Claps Hand* =.='''

I had to carry 2 gigantic plastic bags because I was from DGDD (Games Design & Development). Luckily, Zi He helped me to carry one otherwise I wondered how I was supposed to walk. Because I could carry both plastic bags but the problem was how to walk while carrying those 2 plastic bags. Anyway, I made it home alive so “Hooray!” XD

After buying the materials, everyone rushed to FC5 and sat there. We practically wasted our day there. Slowly, one by one, everyone on their laptops to use because we were supposed to bring our laptops for some SPICE training.

After waiting for a long time, it was finally almost 2pm and we were supposed to go to some IT lab for the training. But the training was practically boring and I wondered the purpose for it. o.O

We also had to do one online survey. o.O

Then, after the training, it’s time for going home! XD

But before that, we took a group photo.

And I looked so weird with 2 heavy plastic bags on the way home. And I suffered from arm pain and hand pain afterwards.

And that night, I even got flu! Lols! o.O

No comments:

Post a Comment