Sunday, October 12, 2014

月彎彎 Yue Wan Wan - 謝金燕 Jeannie Hsieh


I chanced upon her songs a couple of weeks ago, when I was really tired at work. Her most popular songs were techno songs so I was finally able to stay awake at work. My impression of her was a really lively girl and I was super shocked when I found out her actual age. I started to really like her after her incident at a music festival at Kaohsiung.

She was forced to end her performance early because the organiser was worried that they will be fined if the performance did not end on time, she was not notified beforehand as well. The most frustrating thing was her performance started late because there was some delay before that, and she was constantly pushed to the front-line to explain the situation to her fans. I could tell she was really upset although she held a smile on her face throughout. She finally ceased the smile on her face when the idiotic organiser switched off her mic and off the stage light. There was something about her that made me felt she was really strong and mature throughout the incident.

She kept her smile but I couldn't stop feeling a tinge of sadness for her when I watched the video of the incident.

She was signalling to her fans to listen after her mic and stage light was switched off. And the only thing she shouted was "姐姐愛你們" (I love you).

How can you not like her after seeing what had happened to her and how well she had handled the situation. I was so interested in her that I spent 2 whole days looking at her videos one after another, in the hope of understanding her better. She sometimes appears arrogant and over confident during her variety shows, but whatever happened at this music festival can outrun that. I learnt a little about her family background and I think she has turned out really great despite what had happened. Therefore, I have to listen to her songs everyday now. My current favourite is Crescent Moon (月彎彎).

Let me do a loose translation of what I had written above.

某天在公司很累的時候,在YouTube隨便刷到姐姐的歌。結果一聼就愛上她的曲風因爲超提神的。我應該好久都沒愛上歌手了吧,姐姐是N年后的第一位。開始覺得姐姐這個人很活潑,發現她的年齡時我整個嚇了一跳。後來看到姐姐在高雄大彩虹音樂節遇到的事,就忍不住替她難過。雖然姐姐很敬業,臉上一直保持笑容,但她的言行舉止讓我感覺出她事實上非常難過。

過後就像個傻子,連續兩天一直找姐姐的久影片來看。但看到姐姐上的綜藝節目會發現她的自我感覺太過良好。但在高雄發生的事件會重復在我腦裏刷,我就在想綜藝節目上的她可能不是她真實的一面。接下來姐姐也長大了啊,人會變嘛。現在我中毒太深,每天都必聼姐姐的歌。


This is my first translation attempt for a Hokkien song. Some words totally do not make sense in Chinese so I had to search them up online. To be honest, I was constantly searching up several phrases because they suspiciously seemed to have another meaning, although if I were to read each word standalone, their meaning will be different. I no longer rely on my Chinese-English dictionary as much for idioms, instead I search for their meaning in a Chinese dictionary because I feel it is more accurate that way. Some essence is usually lost in translation, if I were to used the pre-translated English text for the idioms, more meaning will be lost in the lyrics I have translated. I didn't include pinyin for the Chinese lyrics because I'm not confident providing their actual pronunciation in Hokkien.

Without much ado...

Song: 月彎彎 Yue Wan Wan (Crescent Moon)
Album: 月彎彎

風輕輕吹
The wind gently blows

花香來過
The flower scent has passed by

孤單無人陪
Lonely without company

飄浪一張批
A letter drifting by

春天經過
Spring passing by

乎風雨來收回
And was reverted by storm and rain

三月只剩
What’s left of March

一片破碎的紅花
Is a piece of tattered red flower

夢輕輕飛
Dream gently flies

思念加倍
Doubling the longing

寂寞無人陪
Lonely without company

愛情一句話
Love, in short

蝴蝶美麗
Beautiful butterflies

乎霜雪來出賣
Was betrayed by the frost

青春無風也要飛
Even if there is no wind during youth, one will still want to fly

斷線風箏
A flying kite with a snapped string

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我沒紅線通乎牽
I’m the only one left without a red string pulling

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我一個人在怨歎
I’m left alone to heave a sigh of resentment

歲月悲歡攏是夢
The years of joy and sorrow are all a dream

青春悲歌唱不完
The sorrow of youth can never be sang finish

月彎彎
Crescent moon

照著阮猶原心頭亂
Shining upon me, my heart is still a mess

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我沒紅線通乎牽
I’m the only one left without a red string pulling

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我一個人在怨歎
I’m left alone to heave a sigh of resentment

歲月離合攏是空
The years of separation and reunion are all for nothing

哀怨人生講不完
The anguish of life can never be explained finish

月彎彎
Crescent moon

猶原月彎彎
Is still a crescent moon

來亦來去亦去莫強求
Things coming and going, don’t have to force them

看陰陽圓缺永久
Looking at the permanence of life changes

相遇在黎明前的永晝
Meeting during an everlasting day before daybreak

似若有緣看伊人為誰憂傷
It seems I’m fated to chance upon a person who is grieving for someone

痛亦痛傷亦傷若欲走
If you wish to leave after all the injury and pain

看無是無非天長地久
Look at the nothingness in eternity

離別在黃昏前曾擁有
I had the farewell before nightfall

夢輕輕飛
Dream gently flies

思念加倍
Doubling the longing

寂寞無人陪
Lonely without company

愛情一句話
Love, in short

蝴蝶美麗
Beautiful butterflies

乎霜雪來出賣
Was betrayed by the frost

青春無風也要飛
Even if there is no wind during youth, one will still want to fly

斷線風箏
A flying kite with a snapped string

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我沒紅線通乎牽
I’m the only one left without a red string pulling

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我一個人在怨歎
I’m left alone to heave a sigh of resentment

歲月悲歡攏是夢
The years of joy and sorrow are all a dream

青春悲歌唱不完
The sorrow of youth can never be sang finish

月彎彎
Crescent moon

照著阮猶原心頭亂
Shining upon me, my heart is still a mess

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我沒紅線通乎牽
I’m the only one left without a red string pulling

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我一個人在怨歎
I’m left alone to heave a sigh of resentment

歲月離合攏是空
The years of separation and reunion are all for nothing

哀怨人生講不完
The anguish of life can never be explained finish

月彎彎
Crescent moon

猶原月彎彎
Is still a crescent moon

來亦來去亦去莫強求
Things coming and going, don’t have to force them

看陰陽圓缺永久
Looking at the permanence of life changes

相遇在黎明前的永晝
Meeting during an everlasting day before daybreak

似若有緣看伊人為誰憂傷
It seems I’m fated to chance upon a person who is grieving for someone

痛亦痛傷亦傷若欲走
If you wish to leave after all the injury and pain

看無是無非天長地久
Look at the nothingness in eternity

離別在黃昏前曾擁有
I had the farewell before nightfall

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我沒紅線通乎牽
I’m the only one left without a red string pulling

月彎彎
Crescent moon

剩我一個人在怨歎
I’m left alone to heave a sigh of resentment

歲月離合攏是空
The years of separation and reunion are all for nothing

哀怨人生講不完
The anguish of life can never be explained finish

月彎彎
Crescent moon

猶原月彎彎
Is still a crescent moon

月彎彎
Crescent moon

猶原月
Is still a moon

4 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful song! I would never have known about it if you hadn't written this, and your translation is wonderful too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad you like it. :)

      Delete
  2. hello Carrot, my name is Heni Wang. I am graduate student at Taiwan. Currently i with my professor doing research about 謝金燕 (Jeannie Hsieh) fans in Hongkong, Singapore and Malaysia. Can i have some talk with you? Wait for your feedback, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm no longer her fan though. What questions were you going to ask? :o

      Delete